Maybe you did not know that the huge hotel that is located above the St Pancras station is called the Midland Grand Hotel. Acually since 2011 it has been called St Pancras Renaissance London Hotel.
The hotel was opened in 1873 and was built by Sir George Gilbert Scott, the same architect who built the Albert Memorial, obviously a lover of the neo-Gothic style. His nephew Sir Giles Gilbert Scott was the architect of Battersea Power Station and the designer of the red telephone booths.
In any case, the Midland Railway Company wanted a hotel for its new St Pancras station and Gilbert Scott won the competition. The architect used the same plan he had used for a government office building in Whitehall that had not been accepted and was never built.
Gilbert Scott was happy that he was finally able to build his great Gothic idea at least once in London. The palace, in fact, among towers, towers and spiers is really an example of Gothic revival architecture. The hotel had 250 rooms and was a luxury hotel with a massive central staircase.
Although considered a luxurious hotel, it did not last long, in fact in 1935 it was already closed, probably due to the fact that the type of customer who loved decadent luxury was on the decrease. The building was kept empty for decades.
Since 1967, the Midland Grand Hotel has been a protected building and for several years was home to British Rail offices, at the time the state railways. With the privatization of the railways in the early 90s, the building stayed again empty for a while until it was renovated to become today’s hotel.