This is the oldest piece of music that can be reconstructed and therefore played is the Hurrian Hymn no 6. It was found in the Royal Place of Ugarit which is found in modern Syria but those days was in Canaan. This piece of music is about 3400 years old. It was only discovered in the 1950s with other five tablets containing instructions to play music but unfortunately the others were too ruined to be able to be deciphered.
The song was meant to be played with a lyre, it also had lyrics but only some of them can be read. It appears to be a prayer to Nikal the Goddess of Orchards. It was written in the Hurian language.
The instructions for another song were also found, this would be even older going back about 4000 years but there are only fragments and it’s impossible to play it.
Watch the Hurrian Hymn no 6
An important archaeological discovery in Pompeii
After almost 2000 years a tomb of a freedman, Marcus Venerius, whose body rested semi embalmed was discovered this week.
To the east of the ancient city, at the necropolis of Porta Sarno, archaeologists found the intact burial of Marcus Venerius Secundio . A very special tomb, because at the time in the city the bodies were incinerated, while that of Marco Venerio is a tomb and his body is inside, lying in a corner, with the nape covered with white and semi-mummified hair. His body was kept inside a cell which allowed its preservation.
Marco Venerio, was over 60 when he died and was a freedman which means a former slave who had gained his freedom. He had been the guardian of the Temple of Venus, protector of the city of Pompeii, minister of the Augustals and then, after the liberation, Augustale, or member of a college of priests of the imperial cult. What is amazing of all this is the fact that a former slave could make enough money to buy himself a posh tomb. Two cinerary urns were found externally in the tomb enclosure, one belonging to a woman named Novia Amabilis, probably Marco Venerio’s wife. Specialists are also analysing what remains of the funeral tunic, which was made of asbestos, which may have contributed to the preservation of the body. Asbestos was often used for embalming
This new discovery is very important as it contains many details of life at the time while at the same time adding a few unanswered questions.
What is that spire outside Charing Cross station in London?
The cross was destroyed in the year 1647 by the Puritans during the English Civil War. After the construction of Charing Cross station in 1865, a reproduction of Eleanor Cross was created and placed outside the station and not in its original place in Trafalgar Square where the equestrian sculpture dedicated to Carlo.
The reproduction was created by the architect EM Barry himself who built the railway station. He used uncommon images available from the original. at the top, there are eight images of Eleonora, 4 as a queen, with imperial symbols and 4 represented as a Christian. Below are curved angels and shields with royal weapons and those of Ponthieu, Castile and Leon, all copied from still extant Eleanor Crosses who were at Waltham Cross and Northampton.
What is special about King Tut’s brooch?
- News2 months ago
London, slice of Charles and Diana’s wedding cake will be auctioned
- News2 months ago
The Russian ‘Lidl’ is coming, a very cheap supermarket
- Skin10 months ago
Natural exfoliants that you can make at home
- Nature9 months ago
Where to see seals and dolphins in London
- Nature8 months ago
Why is the London plane tree so special?
- Cinema9 months ago
Discover Louis Wain’s cats before the movie with Benedict Cumberbatch comes out
- Beauty & Fashion8 months ago
Were Edwardian women waists ‘photoshopped’?
- Nature10 months ago
A reason to feed the birds!