The Billingsgate market initially sold a bit of everything and only from 1500 began selling mainly fish. In 1699 a parliamentary act passed that decided that the market could sell any type of fish, or almost. In fact one type of fish was forbidden, it was the eels that could then only be sold by Dutch merchants in recognition for having helped London after the Great Fire.
At the beginning there were two markets: Billingsgate and Queenhithe, both dedicated to fish, being in fact close to the piers used by fishing boats. While Queenhithe was more important at the start, Billingsgate overtook it because its dock was in a better position for boats.
The name is said to come from some merchant called Beling or Biling. As London grew, the fish trade also grew and it was decided to build a new market on purpose.
This market opened in 1850, before then the market was only composed of wooden buildings and not very stable. Within 20 years the new market was already insufficient for the needs of the city and was therefore enlarged by the architect Horace Jones (also responsible for the Leadenhall and Tower Bridge market).
The building still exists today on Lower Thames Street, you can recognize it from the weather vanes and other decorations with small fish. The market was important for the London economy of the past, when the port and fishing were still important.
George Orwell worked in this market in the 1930s. The market was also famous for its foul language and the many swear words used by those who worked there.
Obviously, being in the City of London where every square metre is worth a fortune the market couldn’t stay there forever. In fact, it closed in 1982.
The new Billingsgate market opened on the Isle of Dogs in 1982, in the middle of the courtyard is a copy of the original market bell.
What is that spire outside Charing Cross station in London?
The cross was destroyed in the year 1647 by the Puritans during the English Civil War. After the construction of Charing Cross station in 1865, a reproduction of Eleanor Cross was created and placed outside the station and not in its original place in Trafalgar Square where the equestrian sculpture dedicated to Carlo.
The reproduction was created by the architect EM Barry himself who built the railway station. He used uncommon images available from the original. at the top, there are eight images of Eleonora, 4 as a queen, with imperial symbols and 4 represented as a Christian. Below are curved angels and shields with royal weapons and those of Ponthieu, Castile and Leon, all copied from still extant Eleanor Crosses who were at Waltham Cross and Northampton.
What is special about King Tut’s brooch?
Isabella Beeton – Author of Mrs Beeton’s Book of Household Management
- Skin8 months ago
Natural exfoliants that you can make at home
- Nature7 months ago
Where to see seals and dolphins in London
- Nature6 months ago
Why is the London plane tree so special?
- Exhibition5 months ago
London, exhibition of royal portraits in Greenwich
- Beauty & Fashion6 months ago
Were Edwardian women waists ‘photoshopped’?
- Cinema7 months ago
Discover Louis Wain’s cats before the movie with Benedict Cumberbatch comes out
- Nature8 months ago
A reason to feed the birds!
- News5 months ago
Alexandra Palace’s beer garden will reopen soon