The Celtic cross of Carew in Wales

It is believed that the Carew Cross was constructed in the 11th century as a commemorative Celtic cross in honour of Hywel ab Edwin’s brother, Maredudd ab Edwin of Deheubarth, who passed away in the year 1035.

It is believed that the cross was made at the same time that Maredudd passed away. Around the year 1690, it was first identified as having originated in Carew, Pembrokeshire. It is not known where the stone was located in the past.

Photo courtesy of Basher Eyre, who has granted permission for its reuse under the terms of this Creative Commons License.

The inscription in Latin that can be found at the base of the monument has been translated as “The cross of Margidet son of Etguin.” It is believed that this is a reference to Mareddud, a descendant of the legislator Hywel Dda who ruled the ancient kingdom of Deheubarth and was killed in battle in 1035. In addition to the inscription, the cross features intricate patterns of knots and braids that have been carved into it.

It is hypothesised that after it was moved to Carew, it was put to use as a decoration for the Carew Castle that is located nearby. Prior to the year 1690, the cross suffered damage in the form of a flaking off of a piece of the stone.

In 1811, the cross stood on a small plinth in front of the church. About 15 years later, the plinth was altered so that it was aligned with the road that had been slightly lowered. In order to safeguard the cross while it was in hiding during the Second World War,

No products found.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top